Management Aspects of Renewable Energy Grid Integration
Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam, Mexico, Peru, Ecuador
The three-day seminar “Management aspects of Renewable Energy Grid Integration” offers its participants the opportunity of learning about the management of energy systems with large amounts of fluctuating renewable energy resources connected to the grid.
The subjects in the seminar will be explained by experts in the field, giving the participants a broad understanding of the important aspects when it comes to integrate large amounts of fluctuating renewable energies into the electricity grid. In the seminar, participants will learn how to calculate the residual load curve and how to make short term forecasts of wind and solar resources for the planning and operation of the electricity grid and the power plant dispatch. Furthermore, the seminar will cover topics such as the management of grid congestion, regulatory and economic framework, the methodology of calculating the annual wind and PV feed in time series, capacity planning, firm capacity and balancing power. The theoretical part of the seminar will be combined with case studies which will increase the odds of a better understanding of all the subjects within the course.
The seminar is recommended for those who want to get specific knowledge and skills on the management aspects related to the management of electricity systems with large amounts of fluctuating renewable energy resources connected to the grid.
Content and country specific technology focus
The main focus of the three-day seminar will be on the management aspects of electricity supply systems with large amounts of fluctuating renewable energy resources integrated to the grid.
The seminar starts with the calculation of residual load curves, the annual wind and PV feed in time series, and the short term forecasting of wind and solar resources for the planning of electricity grid operation and power plant dispatch, followed by capacity planning and the methodology of calculating firm capacity, balancing power, the management of grid congestion, regulatory and economic framework. Finally all the previous subjects will be reinforced by case studies which will increase the comprehensibility of all the subjects in the seminar.
It will focus on specific technologies that might differ from country to country according to a needs assessment that RENAC did in the first half of 2014. For further information about the country specific technology focus, please check the respective country website (Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam, Mexico, Peru and Ecuador).
Note: RENAC might adapt the seminar plan according to country?specific needs and /or participants’ requirements.
The three-day seminar on “Management aspects of Renewable Energy Grid Integration” is targeted at professionals from the public and private sector working in the field of energy who are interested in acquiring management knowledge regarding energy systems with large amounts of alternating renewable energy resources. These professionals may come from the following backgrounds:
- Regulators and political decision makers
- Persons with management skills and tasks in planning of energy systems
- Persons with management skills and tasks in operation of electricity grids
At the end of the seminar:
- Participants will be familiar with energy systems which contains large amounts of solar and wind and understand the necessary regulatory and economic framework
- Participants will have a broaden understanding of the managing aspects of such energy systems and how to plan the electricity grid operation and power plant dispatch
- Participant will be capable of using different methodologies to do short term forecasts for wind and PV, to calculate the annual wind and PV feed in time series and the balancing power
- Participants will be able to do capacity planning and calculate the firm capacity
- Participants will obtain a broaden knowledge of the management of grid congestion
- Course materials are provided in English; participants will receive colour printed hard copies (no files)
- Lecturers will present in English; simultaneous translation will be provided (according to country specific needs)
Duration and number of participants
The seminar lasts 3 days and is designed for up to 15 participants.
The location for the seminar will be in the partner country. Participants will be informed in due time about the details of the venue for the seminar.
Requirements for participants
- Participants have to apply online and accept the terms of reference for the scholarship
- For information about deadlines for application please check the respective country website (Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam, Mexico, Peru and Ecuador)
- Knowledge of renewable energy technology (attendance of basic seminar P1 / On1 or availability of comparable know how)
- Participants should be willing to attend the whole seminar, find solutions through group work, to present results and to discuss solutions
- Good English proficiency is an advantage
- RENAC will choose participants according to the information provided in the application form, e.g. ensure that the participants are part of the target group. Participants accepted for a training will receive a confirmation email from RENAC.