Title: Market and business development for solar power (photovoltaics) in Iraq
Duration: August 2021 – August 2023
Target group: Entrepreneurs, individuals, and those representing small-and-medium-sized enterprises in the solar sector in Iraq.
Project frame: The project is part of the Private Sector Development and Employment Promotion (PSD) project and aims to support and enable solar sector market development in Iraq. PSD follows a Solar Power for Iraq webinar series, which took place from June to July 2021.
- German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) (Commissioner)
- European Union (EU) (Co-Funder)
- Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH (Implementation lead)
- RENAC (Implementing partner)
This project supports the private sector market development of solar PV in Iraq through comprehensive educational training programmes for those working in the training sector. This project works towards:
- creating client demand for solar-powered applications;
- creating good-quality PV systems installed by private companies; and
- increasing the availability of professionals with relevant and/or transferable skills.
Activities will be implemented to support the three major goals of the programme: capacity building, private sector development, and market creation. Activities include:
- capacity building through training programmes, courses, and workshops;
- private sector development through mentoring programmes; and
- market creation through information campaigns and networking portals.
Individuals and professionals currently working in private sector companies covering the entire value chain of solar PV projects are invited to participate, including:
- project development
- system design
- operation and maintenance (O&M).
Engineers, technicians, and sales engineers who want to be trained in solar PV applications, including off-grid, grid-connected, and hybrid PV systems are also invited to participate.
RENAC will conduct the following train-the-trainer programmes (on-site and online), with training partners for diverse target groups.
As part of this section, there will be a mentoring programme, which will pair company owners and managers from Arabic or Kurdish speaking countries with Iraqi company owners, who are entering the PV market. The purpose of these activities are to encourage, inform, and support private sector companies in Iraq in developing business cases and models for different PV market niches. The newly-trained Energy Innovation Coaches (EIC) will be observers of the mentoring processes and learn about the topics discussed within the programme.
Company owners and managers from Kurdish and Arabic speaking countries will:
- share their experiences with PV businesses;
- be selected a part of an application process; and
- receive compensation for their support.
More details coming soon
Company owners and managers from Iraq:
- interested in offering services in the Iraqi PV market,
- can participate free of charge.
More details coming soon
An online platform on solar PV is being created and established to enhance the market development in Iraq. The web portal will:
- provide information on PV applications and financing;
- serve as a marketing platform for companies with useful references;
- increase accessibility to qualified service providers for customers;
- be available in English, Arabic, and Kurdish to reach all interested target groups from different regions in Iraq.
More information coming soon, click below to sign up to receive updates.