Green Banking MENA - Capacity Building on Green Energy and Climate Finance
Green Banking Oct 2018 - Mar 2020
Egypt, Jordan, Morocco, Tunisia
Green Banking MENA - Capacity Building on Green Energy and Climate Finance is a scholarship programme within the DIAPOL-CE - Policy dialogue and knowledge management on low emissions development strategies in the MENA region project. DIAPOL-CE is funded by the German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU) via German International Climate Initiative (IKI) and implemented by GIZ. Within this framework, the Renewables Academy AG (RENAC) has been commissioned by GIZ to provide an 18-month capacity building programme on renewable energy and energy efficiency finance in the partner countries Egypt, Jordan, Morocco and Tunisia. The project started in October 2018 and will run until March 2020.
Why Green Banking?
The agreement signed in Paris during the United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP21) is proof of the key role renewable energy and energy efficiency play in the international climate change mitigation efforts. While the green markets keep gaining momentum, Egypt, Jordan, Morocco and Tunisia enjoy the necessary natural resources for the widespread implementation of renewable energy and energy efficiency projects. Local professionals with the appropriate know-how will be able to profit from new business opportunities in a growing industry, which additionally presents manifold benefits (reduction of greenhouse gas emissions, energy security and job creation, among many others).
What does Green Banking offer?
Participants will gain specific know-how in renewable energy and energy efficiency technologies, as well as appropriate risk evaluation and mitigation schemes. The development of private sector finance instruments for climate change mitigation will be fostered and the readiness to leverage national credit lines with international climate change mitigation schemes will be increased. Knowledge about existing international climate change mitigation funds and the available access opportunities will be disseminated.
Green Banking provides scholarships for:
Train-the-Trainer (TtT) seminar:
- For professionals with experience in green energy finance willing to contribute to the Applying Green Energy Finance programme
- At RENAC's Training Centre in Berlin, Germany
- Duration: 5 days
Applying Green Energy Finance (AGEF) Programme: Combination of Online Training and Face-to-Face Seminar:
- Introduction to the programme and the subsequent online training (Kick-off Workshop)
- Comprehensive introduction to green energy finance (Online Training)
- Country-specific trainings on technical and financial issues (Face-to-Face Seminar)
- Duration: 1-day Kick-Off-Workshop; 10-weeks Online Training and 3-day Face-to-Face Seminar
- The possibility to participate only in the Kick-off Workshop and the Online Training is given
Who can apply for Green Banking scholarships?
Professionals from private and public institutions involved or interested in financing renewable energy and energy efficiency projects are invited to apply for Green Banking scholarships:
- Commercial banks
- Development banks
- Private equity, risk capital and infrastructure funds
- Institutional investors
Moreover, the following groups are eligible for applying for Green Banking scholarships:
- Renewable energy and energy efficiency project developers who would like to increase their know-how on funding requirements and possibilities
- Ministries and public institutions involved in designing political and economic structures which need information on the financing requirements of renewable energy and energy efficiency
- Companies, public institutions and NGOs who need support in the assessment of funding requirements and possibilities for their projects
- Media who would like to cover the issue of renewable energy and energy efficiency and their funding requirements and possibilities.
The application period will start in December 2018 for the Train-the-Trainer programme and in June 2019 for the Applying Green Energy Finance programme and the Online Training.
Green Banking activities
Tel: +49 (0)30 58 70870 20
Fax: +49 (0)30 58 70870 88
Tel: +49 (0)30 58 70870 25
Fax: +49 (0)30 58 70870 88
Green Banking email address: