Project Design for Large Scale Solar Thermal Systems (Water Heating)
The five-day seminar “Project design for large scale solar thermal systems (water heating)” offers renewable energy education from the technical point of view, where its participants have the opportunity of learning about planning and designing large scale solar thermal systems which use the incoming radiation of the sun to heat up a fluid (water) to its later use in the industry.
Experts in specific renewable energy technologies will explain you throughout this seminar the important aspects regarding solar thermal systems. The students will get a comprehensive overview of the available solar resource, solar potential of the country, and the applications of the resource. The students will be instructed on important aspects for planning and designing a large scale solar thermal project like components description and sizing, configuration of large solar thermal systems, installation, operation, maintenance, and monitoring. Furthermore, cost calculations and economic and feasibility studies are also included in the seminar.
The seminar is recommended for those who are interested in obtaining specific knowledge on using a renewable energy resource to heat up large quantities of water for its later use in the industry.
Content and country specific technology focus
The seminar is structured by seven topics which will be explained by experts in the field of solar thermal energy. The first topic in the seminar is the assessment of the solar resource, the potential and applications. Later the lecturers will focus on the specific components of large scale solar thermal systems, the quality expected and certification needed. After receiving all the details about components, the students will obtain a general understanding on assessing heat demand, followed by a detailed explanation on system configuration and country specific characteristics with a final comparison between systems. The seminar also emphasizes project planning which includes the designing of the system and sizing of the components of a solar thermal system. Also, the lecturers will go through elements that follow the planning and designing like installation, commissioning, operation, maintenance (e.g. fault finding) and monitoring. Furthermore, to know if a project is financially viable or not, cost calculations, economic and feasibility studies and payback time calculations are also included in the seminar.
Note: RENAC might adapt the seminar plan according to country?specific needs and/or participants’ requirements. For further information about the country specific particularities, please check the respective country website (Mexico).
The five-day seminar on “Project design for large scale solar thermal systems (water heating)” is targeted at professionals from the public and private sector working in the field of energy who are interested in acquiring skills and knowledge regarding the planning of solar thermal for water heating systems.
These professionals may come from the following backgrounds:
- Engineers and technicians at ministries
- Project developers
At the end of the seminar:
- Participants will extend their knowledge on the potentials and applications of the solar resource
- Participants will be familiar with the components of large scale solar thermal systems and the quality control and certification required
- Participants will have a general overview on assessment of heat demand
- Participants will have a fundamental understanding of system configurations, specific country characteristics and comparison of solar thermal system
- Participants will obtain a broaden knowledge of project planning, system design and sizing of components for large water heating systems
- Participants will obtain a broaden knowledge of installation, commissioning, operation, maintenance, fault finding and monitoring
- Participants will be able to make cost and pay back calculations
- Participants will be familiarized with economic and feasibility studies regarding solar thermal systems.
- Course materials are provided in English; participants will receive colour printed hard copies (no files)
- Lecturers will present in English; simultaneous translation will be provided (according to country specific needs)
Duration and number of participants
The seminar lasts 5 days and is designed for up to 15 participants.
The location for the seminar will be in the partner country. Participants will be informed in due time about the details of the venue for the seminar.
Requirements for participants
- Participants have to apply online and accept the terms of reference for the scholarship
- For information about deadlines for application please check the respective country website (Mexico)
- Knowledge of renewable energy technology (attendance of basic seminar P1 / On1 or availability of comparable know how)
- Participants should be willing to attend the whole seminar, find solutions through group work, to present results and to discuss solutions
- Good English proficiency is an advantage
- RENAC will choose participants according to the information provided in the application form, e.g. ensure that the participants are part of the target group. Participants accepted for a training will receive a confirmation email from RENAC.