The Integration Costs of Wind and Solar Power
When a new power plant is constructed, the developer expects to incur costs for planning, building and connecting the unit. However, integrating this unit into the existing power system bears additional costs related to delivering the produced energy to the consumer at the precise time it is needed. These costs together are summarised under the term integration cost.
Because power generation from wind and solar photovoltaic (PV) power plants depends on weather conditions and hence varies over time, the cost of integrating these units into a power system differs substantially from the integration cost of dispatchable power plants. Thus, understanding and being able to estimate the integration cost of variable renewable energy (VRE) (wind and solar PV) is key to determining total economic cost. This then allows for a welfare-optimal generation mix in the process of planning the transition to a decarbonised electricity system.
This course focuses on:
- Grid costs
- Balancing power costs
- Effects on existing power plant utilisation
- Total system cost approach
Do you want to get reminded two weeks prior to registration deadline?
Upon completion of this course, you should be able to:
- Explain the concept of integration cost, its purpose, definition and relevant points of discussion,
- Describe different approaches to the quantification of grid costs, balancing costs and the economic effects on existing conventional power plant utilisation,
- Based on literature estimates, specify the range of grid costs, balancing costs and economic effects on existing conventional power plant utilisation, and discuss possible reasons for variations in estimates,
- Discuss the total system cost approach as an alternative for comparing integration cost in different scenarios and identify its strengths and limitations.
- Flexibility to study at any time and from any location
- Extensive support and live virtual classrooms
- Multimedia learning material and self-evaluation tests
- RENAC certificate upon successful finalisation of the training
Project Director E-Learning and Blended Learning
Tel: +49 (0)30 58 70870 46