Applying Renewable Energy: Solar Technologies
Solar technologies can be used to produce electricity (e.g. to reduce fuel consumption), or for hot water provision. By choosing this training, you will get an understanding of:
- Applications and market development
- Solar radiation
- System components
- System configurations (grid-tied and off-grid)
- Introduction to system design and yield estimation
- Relevance of solar thermal
- How solar thermal works
- Different solar thermal system types and its components
- System sizing, installation and commissioning
- Operation and maintenance
Concentrated Solar Power (CSP):
- Plant cooling
- Electricity storage
- Energy yield calculation
PV-diesel hybrid systems:
- Off-grid electricity supply by means of diesel-powered mini grids,
- Hybridization with PV- and / or wind energy-systems,
- Technology and components,
- Parameters for system sizing,
- Levelised cost of energy
Additionally, each participant will have access to short introductory courses on energy and electricity topics to learn or revise the basics. These courses are not mandatory, and will not be covered in the exam.
Do you want to get reminded two weeks prior to registration deadline?
After the online training, you will be able to:
- Assess resources and suitability of sites for each technology
- Decide which components are to be used for which purpose
- Roughly calculate system size and energy yield and determine crucial paramerters
- Explain the principle functioning of each technology
Upon successful finalisation of the training, you will receive a RENAC Certificate.
Possible specialisations after successfully finishing this training:
Duration: 6 months
Study time: About 70 hours
Training language: English or Spanish
Detailed course description: A detailed course description is available for download here.
E-learning platform: Access the demo course on our e-learning platform.
Project Director E-Learning and Blended Learning
Tel: +49 (0)30 58 70870 46
- Flexibility to study at any time and from any location
- Extensive support and live virtual classrooms
- Multimedia learning material and self-evaluation tests
- Certified by the "Staatliche Zentralstelle für Fernunterricht - ZFU" (German Authority for Distance Learning).
- RENAC certificate upon successful finalisation of the training
- 10% discount for early bird registration
Lars Koerner joined Renewables Academy (RENAC) AG in May 2014 as Project Director. He coordinates and conducts training programs at Renewables Academy (RENAC) AG mainly in the field of solar energy systems. Off-grid systems and PV-Diesel-Hybrid mini-grids for rural electrification or industrial applications are his special interest.
Before joining RENAC Lars gained seven years of experience as project engineer and senior product manager at SolarWorld AG where he also managed several rural electrification projects. His experience in the area of solar energy spans further through his work at the German Aerospace Center (DLR) in Almeria, Spain and Fraunhofer ISE in Freiburg, Germany. He is an expert in sizing and simulation of solar energy systems and the co-author on off-grid systems in Earthscan’s 3rd edition of “Planning and Installing Photovoltaic Systems”.
Lars holds an engineering diploma in Environmental Engineering / Renewable Energies and is also a state-licensed electrician.