COBENEFITS 2017 - 2022
INDIA, SOUTH AFRICA, TURKEY, VIETNAM, MEXICO, KENYA
What is the CoBenefits programme?
COBENEFITS is a capacity-building programme funded by the German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU) within the German International Climate Initiative (IKI). COBENEFITS assists relevant policy makers – the key persons that shape climate, energy and environmental policy in India, South Africa, Vietnam, Turkey, Mexico and Kenya - in their ability to spur ambitious climate action.
The global transition to renewable sources of energy, as a key action area for climate change mitigation, is in full swing. Besides climate change mitigation, renewables offer many social and economic opportunities, such as
- Employment and job creation
- Clean air
- Public health
- Access to electricity
- Energy security
- Improved investment opportunities
- Local value-creation
- Empowering women
These positive side effects of climate policies are called co-benefits.
"Highlighting and harnessing the social and economic co-benefits of climate action, such as health benefits, local economic benefits, improved air quality or new jobs, will be crucial to make NDC and SDG implementation a success for the planet and the people."
Dr. Karsten Sach, Germany, BMU, 2019
COBENEFITS offers trainings, networking opportunities and exchange of experiences for energy professionals from India, South Africa, Turkey, Vietnam, Mexico and Kenya. Online training courses and face-to-face seminars provide comprehensive know-how on co-benefits, renewable energy technologies, and energy and climate policies. In detail COBENEFITS offers
- A comprehensive set of online training courses in the RENAC Online Academy
- Certificate: COBENEFITS Specialist in Renewable Energy
- Country specific COBENEFITS assessment reports developed by national research institutions
- Mutual learning workshops and Face-to-face trainings in India, South Africa, Turkey, Vietnam, Mexico and Kenya.
- A transnational training workshop with participants from all partner countries in Berlin / Germany (2021 or 2022)
Who can apply for the COBENEFITS trainings?
- Ministries recognising the importance of climate protection/policy and/or with responsibility for climate and energy policy on national level
- Subordinate authorities and regulators, regional or local administration
- Policy makers on subnational/state level
- Financial institutions
- Energy or climate related agencies, think tanks and research institutions
RENAC will choose participants according to the information provided in the application form (CV, description of tasks at work, motivation letter and signed Terms of Reference etc.). Participants accepted for a training will receive a confirmation email from RENAC.